Tuesday 29 January 2013

Burnt Oko-Baba Market: Victims kick against relocation

  • RESIDENTS and traders of Oko-Baba,
    Ebute Metta area of Lagos State have
    urged the state government to design a
    ‘Master Plan’ for the area instead of
    relocating them to Timber village, in
    Ikorodu Local Government Area of the
    state.
    This came as Oko-Baba Internally
    Displaced People, IDPs, abandoned the
    Agbowa Relief Camp, in Ikorodu suburb
    over alleged poor living conditions.
    There are about 450 IDPs including 98
    children in the camp.
    Three weeks ago, fire gutted the Oko-
    Baba Sawmill, destroying equipment
    worth millions of naira and rendered
    about 1000 people homeless.
    Speaking during an inspection tour of
    ongoing projects at the proposed
    relocation site for Oko-Baba Saw millers,
    Governor Babatunde Fashola said: â€Å“It is
    going to be a clearly articulated timber
    village that is a whole industry on its
    own with offices, trailer park and other
    ancillary services like welding, carpentry
    and woodwork. What is further
    interesting about the Timber Village is
    the housing estate that is being
    constructed where people can live with
    modern housing facilities away from the
    unsightly and unacceptable conditions
    that now exist.
    â€Å“We made an agreement with them; I
    signed on behalf of government a
    Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
    with them. This is the future that we
    want for them. We are delivering on our
    promise and there is going to be a
    community of about 3000 houses here
    with the first 400 already done.”
    However, contrary to earlier claims by
    the General Manager of Lagos State
    Emergency Management Authority,
    LASEMA, Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu that
    IDPs were daily storming the camp,
    when Megacityspotlight visited the
    camp last weekend, it was virtually
    deserted as there were few people
    around. Though, about 450 IDPs are said
    to be accommodated only few people
    were seen around.
    Osanyintolu had earlier claimed that the
    IDPs would also be taught vocational
    skills by the state̢۪s Ministry of Women
    Affairs and Poverty Alleviation and
    emergency stakeholders such as UNICEF,
    LASAMBUS, Nigeria Security and Civil
    Defence Corps, none of these officials
    was on camp when Vanguard visited.
    Also, there was no transportation
    provided. LASEMA boss had claimed:
    â€Å“We have also provided transportation
    needs for them at the camp. By 6 am
    bus takes some of them to Mile 12 while
    in the evening precisely, by 6. 30 pm,
    they are returned to the camp. That is
    for those who intend to go out of the
    place.”During his visit to the camp recently to
    assess state of the victims, he said that
    everything needed to mitigate
    the effect of the loss of properties on
    the victims had been provided in the
    camp in accordance with the governor̢۪s
    directives, adding that efforts were also
    ongoing by the state‘s Ministry of
    Education to take charge of the
    education needs of the displaced
    children in the camp.
    We’ve no means of livelihood – Victims
    One of the IDPs at Agbowa, Mrs.
    Folashade Ojeshipe, commended the
    state government for its gesture, saying:
    â€Å“We were well fed here but we need
    help for clothing and we need some
    pocket money because we have no
    means of livelihood. And also the
    government should remember its
    promise to keep us here for only three
    months. I lost my house and the stall to
    the inferno but most importantly, they
    are yet to take care of the schooling of
    our children, they just keep on roaming
    about. We need Fashola̢۪s immediate
    intervention on this. â€Å“
    Another IDP, a graduate of Yaba College
    of Technology, Mr. Olamutu Olatunji, an
    Artist, appealed passionately to Fashola
    for financial assistance as he had lost all
    he owned to the fire. â€Å“I have been
    redundant by not working. I want
    Governor Fashola to assist me
    financially. I do monument on
    structures, all my materials got burnt in
    the inferno. In fact I lost everything I
    owned to the inferno.”
    Why we̢۪re against relocation
    However, some of the victims that
    aandoned Agbowa and dn̢۪t want to be
    relocated to Ikorodu contended that
    Oko-Baba has for decades been their
    home and their main source of
    livelihood, hence, relocation would make
    them lose their heritage.
    They added that it would cost the
    government less to design a master plan
    for the area that would include
    residential, offices and sawmill than to
    commence new construction.
    Mrs. Ayoka Salako, one of the residents,
    said, â€Å“I want to rebuild my house. I don’t
    want to leave this place, even to
    Agbowa relief camp.”
    According to Salako, a septuagenarian,
    â€Å“this was where I gave birth to my six
    children. I have nowhere to go. I have
    lived here for long. Where does he
    (governor) want me to relocate to? This
    is my heritage. I am not ready to leave
    this place. I am ready to rebuild my
    structure. What we want from the
    government is to design the area in a
    way that the residents would live
    separately from the saw millers,” adding
    â€Å“I felt relieved when I heard that the
    governor would be visiting the scene.
    And when he came, I expected him to
    sympathize with us; disburse some
    funds to the victims to rebuild our
    structures and proffer solution on how
    to end fire disaster in the area. Instead
    he ordered that we should be relocated.”
    Mr. Fola Muhammed, a trader, said: â€Å“The
    relocation plan by the state government
    cannot be possible. I am the one
    managing my father̢۪s business since his
    demise. And my father started the
    business here before my birth. I am not
    ready to relocate my father̢۪s business. If
    I relocate the business away from here
    to wherever the government planned to
    build its new timber village, what will
    happen to the avalanche of customers I
    have? So I am not ready to lose any of
    my customers. This is the hub of plank
    market business in the country.”
    Mrs. Funmilayo Gbadamosi said that she
    had experienced life at both Agbowa
    and Oko-Baba, â€Å“but I prefer to live in the
    latter.”
    Gbadamosi, a petty trader explained â€Å“I
    was among the victims who went to the
    resettlement camp at Agbowa. But I had
    to leave because the camp isn̢۪t
    conducive for habitation especially for
    me. Several others have also abandoned
    the camp for the city. While at the camp I
    was idle. And when I decided to leave
    the camp to my office, I couldn̢۪t cope
    with the cost of transportation
    considering the type of business I
    operate.”
    Mr. Abiodun Adewole, whose office was
    razed, commended Fashola for the
    relocation of the victims to Agbowa
    relief camp, saying â€Å“It shows that the
    governor understand leadership.”
    Adewole however said â€Å“what would be
    the fate of the victims after three
    months when they would be required to
    leave the camp. Will there be any
    provision after they leave the camp?”
    Conditions for relocation to Timber
    Village
    Adewole noted that the traders and the
    residents could not be relocated until
    adequate facilities that would aid their
    resettlement were provided at the new
    timber village, saying â€Å“until then, the
    government shouldn̢۪t think of
    relocation.”
    He stated that the place must be closer to
    a lagoon, as this would aid the
    movement of logs into the market. â€Å“A
    fire station and schools must be
    provided for the traders and the
    residents. There must also be recreation
    centres for the workers; an independent
    power project (IPP) must be provided to
    supply electricity at the centre. The
    reason for this is the business relies on
    power supply for its survival. Also, the
    new village must be designed to
    accommodate the avalanche of workers
    who rely on the market for their daily
    survival. ”
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment